Case Study: Citrix
Citrix more rapidly shipped GoToMeeting and GoToWebinar features to its customers on 5 platforms in multiple languages after Senex Rex consultant John Horton’s reorganization of its agile teams and processes. In two years, under his management, release frequency rose from 3 releases per year to more than 20 per year.
CItrix more closely aligned product features with markets, after John established a data driven system to prioritize and communicate product roadmaps and backlogs. Revenue rose 53%.
Citrix gained and sustained leadership in mobile products, after John focused the collaboration product development group on mobile execution and innovation, taking Citrix Online from nothing to a top 10 Business App on iOS, Android, and Windows platforms.
John directly managed a product development team of 75 employees and developed processes that orchestrated 100 more in engineering, test, product management, UX and operations. This represented less than 5% of Citrix total product development staff while delivering more than 12% of Citrix revenue. Citrix has 7,000 employees with 50% in product development roles.
Hobbies and interests
- Tries to keep up with his four boys
- Coaches and referees youth soccer and lacrosse
- Invents physical products and tools
- Hikes, skis and works out using P90X
- Improves education for children with dyslexia and other learning challenges
Senex Rex focus
John Horton coaches general managers and pursues time-limited projects to gain huge increases in market share and productivity. His particular interests include:
- solving big and interesting problems quickly through the application of Agile Principles and Methodologies
- nurturing a sustained discipline of frequently shipping value to customers
- aligning and improving communications and transparency between diverse groups
- designing and implementing data driven approaches to prioritize work and measure results that improve the top and bottom line
- Establishing and communicating a clear vision and strategy that is easily understood
- Improving engagement with customers and prospects